Well, it looks like I have a little bit more time before I have to make my final decision. We have decided to do one more round of chemo, starting on Monday. Doctor Rosen looked at my leg on Thursday and was very pleased with it’s reaction to this last round of chemo and the radiation. We need to give my skin a little bit more time to heal from the radiation before we attempt any type of surgery, so rather than just sit around and give the tumor a chance to grow while we wait, we are going to nuke it one more time and see what that does for us.
The tumor is much more movable than it ever has been, and Rosen seemed very excited about the fact that he could actually feel the edges of it now. That has never been possible before. After we do this next round of chemo we will do another PET scan and see how the tumor has responded. Best case scenario is that the active cells will be completely dead and a limb salvage operation won’t be a risky operation. Worst case scenario is that it will still be alive and we will move forward with the amputation. Either way, with the chemo running through your system it continues to kill the bad cells, so there isn’t anything to lose… Except some more weight…
We went out to an incredible steak dinner last night at a place called Club A Steakhouse right around the corner. Everything we had was delicious and my ribeye was probably one of the biggest single steaks I’ve ever had. It was great to have a meal like that before I go back on this chemo. Unlike the Ifosfamide, the concoction of Adriamycin and Cisplatin in this chemo makes my appetite just disappear. It’s not that I don’t get hungry, it’s just that once you smell the food you feel like you are going to throw up! It’s pretty annoying. I love rich foods, but as soon as I take a bite of anything rich while I’m on this stuff it just turns my stomach. I’ve found that cereal and bananas are easy to handle, so I end up eating a lot of both.
This chemo combination lasts for about 2 weeks, and you can endure anything for 2 weeks. It goes by pretty quick when it is all said and done. At the end of this we should also have a definite answer on which course to take in the limb salvage versus amputation decision. Basically if it doesn’t completely kill the tumor then we will probably amputate because it is the safest course of action and I’m not going to mess around with procedures that could jeopardize my life! Pretty easy decision I would say.